ENTRY PROCEDURE & TERMS & CONDITIONS OF THE RADO STAR PRIZE UK 2017
The Rado Star Prize UK 2017 aims to support a design student/non-professional designer in starting a career in design in the UK.
COMPETITION THEME – ‘Design Meets Time’
Competition entries should consider the theme ‘Design Meets Time’. The timeless quality of a product, longevity, or how long a product takes to make all have an impact on the design process and choice of materials.
Rado is searching for innovative, cutting-edge design pieces that consider time in either a conceptual sense or material approach – for example how the object is made, or what it is made from. Entries will be considered from the interior, industrial and technology design mediums. Please note, entries for watches or timepieces will not be accepted.
The competition offers two prizes:
1. The Jury Prize (Winner of Rado Star Prize UK 2017)
- A cash prize of £5’000 GBP;
- A presentation of the winning Entry on Rado Watch Co. Ltd.’s website (www.rado.com) and social media channels of Rado and designjunction; and
- A Rado watch to be selected by Organiser, the retail value of which is at the sole discretion of Rado (the watch is not redeemable for cash and cannot be exchanged).
- Subject to the winner residing outside of the M25 area, economy travel and one -night hotel accommodation will be provided, with a contribution made towards subsistence.
2. PRIX DU PUBLIC Prize
- A Rado watch to be selected by Rado, the retail value of which is at the sole discretion of Rado (the watch is not redeemable for cash and cannot be exchanged)
10 Shortlisted Finalists and a winner of the Rado Star Prize UK 2017 will be selected by a specialist jury.
All Shortlisted Finalists will have the opportunity to display a prototype of their entries for the public to vote the winner of the Prix Du Public Prize, held at the designjunction Kings Cross, London show from 21st to 24th September 2017 during the London Design Festival.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ENTRY PROCESS AND REQUIREMENTS
1. To enter the competition each entrant must visit the Rado Star Prize UK website (http://radostarprize.rado.com/uk) and submit:
- their name, address, email address and a short biography (max 600 characters including spaces and characters)
- the field of design of the entry, a short description of the entry’s design (within the pre-defined field - max 2000 characters including spaces and characters)
- Minimum 2, and up to 4 visuals / technical drawings / concept ideas of the design entry (max 5 MB. Minimum 800 px width. Ideally landscape. Format: jpeg, png and/or tif.) Up to a maximum of 50% of the submitted visuals/technical drawings/concept ideas may be clearly marked as ‘confidential’ (e.g. CAD drawings) and which will therefore not be used for publicity by either Rado or designjunction.
Entrants not fulfilling these Terms and Conditions as well as those entering a false name or address may be disqualified.
2. Entrants must:
- be over 18 years of age and resident of the UK
- not be a professional designer or employed as a designer in any capacity
- be a final year student or recently graduated from a recognised institution or otherwise possess a natural talent for design
- only enter one design.
3. Entries will be accepted from the following fields of design:
- Product design, Graphic design, Industrial design, Interior design, Lighting design and Technology design.
4. Entries will not be accepted from any design incorporating a design for a watch or other timepiece will not be accepted or considered or from a group or collaborative entry.
5. All designs must be the original work of the Entrants. Designs cannot be previously commercialized.
6. Competition entries should consider the theme ‘Design Meets Time’. The timeless quality of a product, longevity, or how long a product takes to make all have an impact on the design process and choice of materials. Rado is searching for innovative, cutting-edge design pieces that consider time in either a conceptual sense or material approach – for example how the object is made, or what it is made from. Entries will be considered from the interior, industrial and technology design mediums.
7. Closing date for entries is Tuesday 16 May 2017 at midnight UK GMT.
8. Submissions can be made electronically only and as such will not be returned to the Entrants.
9. Entrants are required to submit entries in a readable format. Any entry that is corrupted and/or unreadable will not be included with the competition for judging. It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to ensure that the submission are free from any viruses.
10. Rado will be responsible for the reasonable safety of all submissions received and will confirm receipt via email with an individual reference number.
11. Rado is not responsible for disappointment suffered by any person not being able to take part in the competition for technical reasons outside of Rado’s control (eg: insufficient internet access at the private/public place from which a person wishes to submit their entry) and Rado will not be liable for entries into the competition that are lost, misdirected, delayed or corrupted, for technical reasons or otherwise.
12. Entries will not be accepted from any employees of Rado, of any of Rado’s affiliates and of commissioned agents and agencies, employees of designjunction as well as persons living in the same household with such employees are not eligible to enter this competition nor are they allowed to carry out, assist or consult in any way an entry to the competition. Similarly, relatives of a jury member (including but not restricted to design firms, teams, family members etc.) are not eligible to take part in the competition. Any such persons entering will be immediately disqualified from the competition.
13. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to participate in or win the Rado Star Prize UK 2017 competition.
14. Prizes are not transferable and no alternative prizes or cash equivalent are available.
15. The jury, made up of professionals from the world of design and from Rado Watch Co. Ltd., will evaluate the designs submitted and select the nine Shortlisted Finalists, in addition to the winner of the competition. Rado reserves the right to substitute a member of the jury due to illness or unavailability.
16. While Rado will be the point of contact between the Shortlisted Finalists and the jury, and will ensure that any identifiable personal data will not be disclosed to the jury prior to the winner of the Jury Prize being selected. All judging decisions will be anonymous.
17. The jury’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. No information about the jury’s decision or deliberation process will be made public.
18. The Rado Star Prize UK website (http://radostarprize.rado.com/uk) will be open for submissions from Tuesday 22 March 2017 and the closing date for entries is Tuesday 16 May 2017 at midnight UK GMT.
19. The winner of the Jury prize will be announced on 20 September during the preview event at designjunction on the Rado stand and to the public on 21 September 2017 using their first and last name with their winning design 1) on the Rado Star Prize website, 2) on rado.com 3) on Rado’s Official Facebook Page 4) via Rado Twitter 5) via Rado Instagram page and designjunction’s social media channels.
Prix du public prize
20. 10 Shortlisted Finalists will be selected by the Jury, and will be invited to provided and deliver a prototype (at their own cost) to, to be exhibited during the designjunction show.
21. The 10 Shortlisted Finalists will notified by Rado, either by phone or email in June 2017 and required to acknowledge receipt of the notification and confirm that they are able to provide and deliver the prototype to a UK address, on a date which will be specified on notification. Failure to do so will result in an alternative Shortlisted Finalist being selected.
22. This PRIX DU PUBLIC PRIZE voting will take place during designjunction show from 21 September to 24 September 2017.
23. The Shortlisted Finalist who receives the most votes from the public will receive the PRIX DU PUBLIC Prize.
24. After the conclusion of the designjunction show Rado will return the prototypes to the Shortlisted Finalists at its cost.
25. The winner of the PRIX DU PUBLIC Prize will be notified by email in September 2017. The first name and surname of the winner, and their design will be announced on: the Rado Star Prize website, the homepage of the Rado official website, the Official Rado Facebook page, the Rado Twitter account, the Rado Instagram page, and designjunction’s social medial channels.
26. Prizes are not transferable and no alternative prizes or cash equivalent are available.
Publicity and reproduction of images/Entry information
27. Entrant is aware that by uploading his/her design to the Rado Star Prize website that any third party may have access to the design and could use it unlawfully. Rado cannot control such unlawful third party use. Entrants waives any right to claim from Rado damages for any third party use. Up to 50% of the submitted image(s) can be specified as confidential. If this is clearly noted, Rado and designjunction will use the image solely for the judging process, and not for public promotion.
28. By submitting their design, Entrants confirm that they are the authors of such designs. In addition, Entrants confirm that their design does not show any content that is otherwise unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory or vulgar, or which infringes any trademark, copyright, design or other right of any third party. Entrants will hold Rado and its officers, employees and affiliates harmless from and against any losses, claims, damages and costs resulting from any violation of these terms.
29. Entrants whose entries do not comply with the above terms or which are rude, abusive or deemed otherwise unsuitable will be excluded from the competition.
30. The intellectual property rights of the design shall remain the property of the Entrants. It is the responsibility of the Entrants to protect the intellectual property of his/her design before entering the competition if deemed necessary. Rado will not be liable for infringement of any intellectual property of third parties once the designs are in the public domain.
31. By submitting their design, all Entrants – including those not selected as Shortlisted Finalists or winners – grant Rado a royalty free worldwide right in perpetuity to use their entry for marketing purposes only without granting Rado any right to change or reproduce the design. This right of use will begin on the day the winners are announced and will continue for 10 (ten) years. Irrespective of Rado’s right to use the entries for marketing purposes in relation to the Rado Star Prize, the prize money does not include remuneration for the use of the Entrants’s intellectual property rights.
33. Winners may, without any obligation, be asked to take part in or co-operate with publicity which may include the publication of their name and/or image.
34. Rado reserves the right to amend these rules at any time, and to modify, suspend or terminate the competition in the event that it becomes infected by a computer virus or otherwise technically impaired.
35. The Rado Star Prize UK 2017 is provided by The Swatch Group (UK) Ltd., a company registered in England and Wales under registration No.: 177501, with a registered address at Building 1000, The Royals Business Park, London E16 2QU, United Kingdom (“Rado”, “we”, “us” “our””), in its capacity as Main Partner of designjunction 2017. The Rado Star Prize UK 2017 is administered by designjunction a company registered in England and Wales under registration No.: 07634779 whose registered office is at 5 Howick Place, London, SW1P 1WG.